Visit The Woodlands is excited to announce that the Memorial Hermann IRONMAN® Texas triathlon will be hosted in The Woodlands from 2021 through 2025. Following the recent postponement of Memorial Hermann IRONMAN Texas from its originally scheduled date of April 24, 2021, the event will now return on Oct. 9, 2021 before reverting back to the traditional spring event date.
"We're thankful to see this event return in 2021," said Bruce Rieser, Chairman of Visit The Woodlands. "This event brings people from all over the country and the world to our special place. We appreciate the IRONMAN organizers who will have very strict safety protocol measures and thankful to the governing officials in our region to have this event produced."
One of more than 40 events in the global IRONMAN Series, the Memorial Hermann IRONMAN Texas triathlon leads athletes along a 2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike and 26.2-mile run throughout The Woodlands and its surrounding areas. The race starts with a swim that takes place in Lake Woodlands and ends with a run entirely within The Woodlands that concludes with a finish on Waterway Ave. View event details here.
“This is great news for our region," said Gordy Bunch, Chairman of The Woodlands Township. "We know participants have been training for several months and even years to get to this point to attempt this intense event. This is great news for residents from all over our region who volunteer and enjoy watching people give their all in one of the most grueling athletic activities around. We are appreciative of the many governmental leaders who helped make this happen and understand the importance of this event.”
MEMORIAL HERMANN IRONMAN TEXAS DATES
- Saturday, October 9, 2021 (originally scheduled for April 24, 2021)
- Saturday, April 23, 2022
- Saturday, April 22, 2023
- Saturday, April 27, 2024
- Saturday, April 26, 2025
STATS FROM MEMORIAL HERMANN IRONMAN TEXAS 2019
- Total economic impact: $13,505,464
- Total visitors: 8,392
- Hotel room nights: 13,174
- Total registrations: 3,100 from nearly all 50 states and 25+ nations
- 4,000+ volunteers
- Approximately $100,000 annually donated to local charities by the IRONMAN Foundation
- Live webcast creating 1.5 million in advertising impressions for The Woodlands on a global scale
Memorial Hermann IRONMAN Texas has proved to be a very successful and attractive major event in The Woodlands, historically drawing thousands of athletes and spectators from around the world. In addition, thousands of residents of The Woodlands and surrounding areas either participate or volunteer every year.
MORE ABOUT IRONMAN TEXAS
- The event provides an opportunity for residents of The Woodlands, Montgomery County and Harris County to see some of the greatest endurance athletes in the world.
- The Woodlands is attractive to IRONMAN as the venue for this premier event as The Woodlands is known as a world-class community – home to hundreds of athletes that welcome the opportunity to host and participate in such a renowned event.
- The event serves as a qualifying race for the IRONMAN World Championship that takes place each October in Kailua-Kona, Hawai`i.
- Memorial Hermann IRONMAN Texas in The Woodlands consistently ranks in the Top 5 of all produced events for the run and fan support.
- Throughout its over 40-year history, IRONMAN has transformed from an event into a lifestyle and sports brand that continues to inspire millions each year to take on new personal challenges and demonstrate the mantra, “ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE® !”
The IRONKIDS® Texas Fun Run offers young athletes the opportunity to feel the excitement of competition while enjoying the outdoors and promoting healthy living. Each participant receives a race bib, finisher shirt, medal, goodie bag and pride of calling themselves an IRONKID! Additional information on IRONKIDS and schedule of events, visit www.ironman.com/ironkids.
ABOUT THE IRONMAN GROUP
As part of Wanda Sports Group, The IRONMAN Group operates a global portfolio of events that includes the IRONMAN® Triathlon Series, the IRONMAN® 70.3® Triathlon Series, 5150™ Triathlon Series, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series®, IRONKIDS®, ITU World Triathlon Series, premier running events including the Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon™ and The Sun-Herald City2Surf® presented by Westpac, Ultra-Trail® World Tour events including Tarawera Ultra and Ultra-Trail Australia™, mountain bike races including the Absa Cape Epic®, road cycling events, and other multisport races. The IRONMAN Group is the largest operator of mass participation sports in the world and provides more than a million participants annually the benefits of endurance sports through the company’s vast offerings. Since the inception of the iconic IRONMAN® brand and its first event in 1978, athletes have proven that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE® by crossing finish lines around the world. Beginning as a single race, The IRONMAN Group has grown to become a global sensation with more than 235 events across 55+ countries. For more information, visit www.ironman.com.
ABOUT THE WOODLANDS
A destination whose offerings and culture rival the nation’s most buzzed about larger cities, The Woodlands is a place designed for great experiences - from beautiful nature to top-tier amenities, globally-ranked venues to hidden gems. Aptly named The Woodlands for its development in and around 28,000 tree-filled acres, this unincorporated, master planned community was founded in 1974 and is located 28 miles north of downtown Houston and minutes from George Bush Intercontinental Airport.