It’s not every day that you will get the chance to see people competing in an IRONMAN competition. The Woodlands will host the Memorial Hermann IRONMAN Texas, where athletes will swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, and then run 26.2 miles all in one day. The number one reason athletes say they love this event in The Woodlands is crowd support along the way. The cheering fans really do give an athlete motivation and encouragement!
2.4 Miles, 1 Lap
The swim begins at North Shore Park and ends at Town Green Park.
- Lake Woodlands Pkwy Bridge (just east of North Shore Park) - This area will give you a great view of the lake and the swimmers.
- The Waterway - This is near the swim finish and is best accessed from the stairs down to The Waterway off Grogan’s Mill Road.
- The North Side of Town Green Park - If you watch from here, you can see the transition from swim to bike. It’s fun to see the volunteers helping the participants quickly move from one portion to the other. This location is near the Riva Row Boat House, and there’s a lot of action here!
112 Miles Out & Back, 2 Loops
The bike portion begins and ends at Town Green Park. For this reason, we suggest staying nearby to watch the transition area.
- Along Lake Robbins Drive - In order to avoid getting stuck out on the course, the best option for the bike start and finish is along Lake Robbins Drive.
26.2 miles, 3 Loops
Runners will go down Lake Woodlands Drive, Woodlands Parkway, towards the Mall, and then back around.
- The Woodlands Waterway - Get a great view near the action of the run route! The final portion of the run is alongside The Woodlands Waterway. Get ready to cheer loudly for the athletes as they push on to cross the finish line!
- Waterway Square - Waterway Square is the finish line for the entire event. There are also many restaurant options nearby. You will likely see all sorts of emotions from the athletes who have accomplished something HUGE!
A FEW OTHER VIEWING TIPS
To help you plan your viewing spots, check out this traffic impact map for details on road closures and impact times. You could get a seriously up-close view of the race by volunteering. Sign Up here!
The race starts around 6:25 a.m. The elite participants may finish in a 7-8 hour window but for others, it could take 12+ hours to complete. So, there will be plenty of time for you to see someone in action on the course! The course will officially close at 12 Midnight.
ENHANCING THE ATHLETE EXPERIENCE
At the end of each race, participants are allowed to vote in the Athletes’ Choice Awards, (here we come to brag a little bit). The Woodlands race is a favorite among IRONMAN competitors!
- Overall Satisfaction: 1st Place
- Overall Run: 3rd Place
- Overall Venue Experience: 2nd Place
- Overall Finish Line: 1st Place
- Post-race Celebration Experience: 1st Place
These rankings are on a global scale, which speaks volumes for The Woodlands, its hospitality, and what an amazing destination it is. This year, we challenge all of you to come out and support the IRONMAN athletes, by giving them the loudest and most memorable Memorial Hermann IRONMAN Texas yet!